Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jaabreed

How do I adjust the income to reflect only a partial year when calculating the advance tax credit for ACA?

I'm currently working on taxes for an individual that had ACA health insurance (with advance tax credits) for the first half of 2016.  In the second half of 2016, this person got a new job with increased pay and employer provided health insurance.  When I use TurboTax, it uses the income from the entire year to calculate the advance tax credits, when it should only use the income from the first half of the year. How do I modify this so only the income from the employer in the first part of the year is used to calculate the tax credit?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Philip_B

How do I adjust the income to reflect only a partial year when calculating the advance tax credit for ACA?

Unfortunately, this is how the Affordable Care Act works. They calculate it at tax time based on the entire year's income, so the Advanced PremiumTax Credit (APTC) received would have to be paid back based on the yearly income. Any cost share reductions they received while using their ACA plan would not have to be paid back.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Philip_B

Unfortunately, this is how the Affordable Care Act works. They calculate it at tax time based on the entire year's income, so the Advanced PremiumTax Credit (APTC) received would have to be paid back based on the yearly income. Any cost share reductions they received while using their ACA plan would not have to be paid back.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies