turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mhicks
Returning Member

How do I 1099-misc a household individual for cleaning services and/or health care. I am not in a business, I just pay for home cleaning and home care services

I am the payer not the receiver, how do I prepare the 1099 M for the caregiver and include it in my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

How do I 1099-misc a household individual for cleaning services and/or health care. I am not in a business, I just pay for home cleaning and home care services

You don't. Individuals do not issue 1099-MISCs; only businesses.

The payee does not need anything, from you, to file his/her own tax return.  He files his self employment from his own records. However, if he is audited, it would be helpful to have a paper work trail (pay him by check not cash).

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

You don't. Individuals do not issue 1099-MISCs; only businesses.

The payee does not need anything, from you, to file his/her own tax return.  He files his self employment from his own records. However, if he is audited, it would be helpful to have a paper work trail (pay him by check not cash).

Hal_Al
Level 15

However, your are not prohibited from issuing a 1099-misc. See <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3064922-how-do-i-issue-1099-misc">https://ttlc.intuit.com/question...>
mhicks
Returning Member

Confusing, I called the IRS this morninng and the rep told me issuing a 1099 M is required under the law.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies