turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can i upload data of 2023 outside PDF return into turbotax? Will turbo tax automatically read and upload all information from a Non-Turbotax PDF returns?

I have 2023 returns in form of PDF from my CPA from previous year, it has NOLs and carry forward expenses + losses from all sorts, such as business and 1099s from brokerages. It will be cumbersome to fill all that data, does TurboTax online or desktop pick all such data from a PDF file and fill it in required blocks automatically? Last time i tried doing this was in 2021, and i was told that TurboTax can uplift data if it's in the format of .Tax File. (Turbotax was not able to pull data from a PDF file), I do not have .Tax File, it's only PDF. Can some one help me with this?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

How can i upload data of 2023 outside PDF return into turbotax? Will turbo tax automatically read and upload all information from a Non-Turbotax PDF returns?

@jimmieisb wrote:
.....I do not have .Tax File, it's only PDF. Can some one help me with this?

Not really. With a PDF you're only going to get a bare minimum of information transferred in.

Sorry, I wouldn't bother trying to transfer from a pdf. It only transfers very basic info like your name and address and AGI.   Are you wanting to fill out a 2023 return from a 2022 pdf or a 2023 pdf?  You can only transfer from 2022.  You can not import a 2023 return into 2023.   Or are you asking about transferring into next year's 2024 return?  Anyway you can not import all the info from a pdf file.  

I am trying to figure out, if I should do my 2024 taxes with TurboTax or not. If I can not upload my 2023 returns and associated data from my pdf file into TurboTax, then it’s gonna be a lot of work I guess to correctly fill in the complex data (not just basic data) from my 2023 returns. I faced same situation in 2021-22. N I had to dump TurboTax that year too, because the tax preparer here (full service package), asked for a .tax file n I don’t have it. It was a deal breaker. So I guess same thing still applies. Hence TurboTax may not be best option for me.

That is correct.  Without a tax file, you would need to type in everything manually.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies