Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bjb060

How can I report income for private tutoring?

I have some private tutoring income to report, but not through any business or anything. I don't have any related deductions to report. How can/should I report that income?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
bjb060

Hey Carl,

Thanks for the answer, but I'm unable to enter myself as an independent contractor; I already have unrelated income from a 1099-MISC, and when I try to add another business income section, Turbotax prompts me to upgrade to home and business. How else can I proceed?
Carl
Level 15

Online is a bit different from the desktop I use. You must indicate you're an independent contractor to get SCH C-EZ. To do that, under personal income scroll down to 1099-MISC and Other Common Income and elect to start/update Income From Form 1099-MISC. Then click YES to indicate that you did receive a 1099-MISC. That should do it, if you meet the criteria indicated in my previous message.
bjb060

Oh, ok. Thanks for the info!
Carl
Level 15

As far as the IRS is concerned, your tutoring income "is" self-employment and you do own a business - a tutoring business. You "should" qualify for the short form SCH C-EZ so that you don't have to upgrade to the most expensive Home & Business. Under the Personal Income tab scroll down to Business Items and elect to start/update Business Income & Expenses. When prompted, identify yourself as an *independent contractor* and you can use the SCH C-EZ. If you select anything else, you will be forced to upgrade to the most expensive Home & Business.

Who can use Schedule C-EZ?

If you have a profit from your business and:

• your expenses are not greater than $5,000, (TurboTax requirement, not greater than $99)

• you have no employees,

• you have no inventory, and
  • you are not using depreciation or deducting the cost of your home you can use Schedule C-EZ
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies