Ask the Experts about the new tax laws! >> Event happening TODAY!
Lisajo1

How can I know if i will get money back for the unemployment refund

Akil C

Hi Lisago1!

Thanks for your question! You may be eligible for a tax refund, depending on whether you filed your return BEFORE the unemployment exclusion law was enacted and how much your gross income was. 

If you filed with TurboTax, you can check to see if you're due a refund by comparing your refund on your Home Page to the refund that shows when you go back into your original TurboTax return through the "back door" by selecting "Add a State" near the bottom of your Tax Home screen. If your refund is greater once you re-enter TurboTax through the back door, you should expect an unemployment refund.

Here's an excellent article for people eligible for the unemployment refund who are still waiting for their refund.  Please check it out and let me know if you have any further questions I can help you with.

Thanks, 

Akil C. 

newenglandpro

Hi there!

Turbotax has a cool calculator that calculates how much your refund will probably be its at this link below:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

Its called Taxcaster.  Quickly estimate your 2020 tax refund with TaxCaster. This free tax calculator helps you see how much you may get back, or what you may owe, before you file your tax return.

Hope this helps! If not reach out to connect again!