Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Reachn4dreams
Returning Member

How can I issue a 1099 Misc to a Contractor without their Social Security number?

What if they will not give me a social security number or their address?

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

How can I issue a 1099 Misc to a Contractor without their Social Security number?

@Critter is correct.  The real answer is to get the W-9 paperwork completed before the contractor can be allowed to perform any work.  

Retain your documentation so that you can demonstrate that you attempted to obtain the required information.  If no address is available, construct a record of the attempts to contact by telephone.

@Reachn4dreams 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Kguti713

The problem is once you realize you have a problem, these guys are long gone and will not be working for you in this capacity again. It is easy to threaten to withhold if they have not been paid. Once they have been paid and realize you are pursuing their tax info, your chances are slim to get correct info. As general contractors, we must be diligent about getting W9's before the work is paid. 

Don't ever say things like "...must send a notice." You should say, "...must send a notice to [whoever]. Leaving things out confuses the issue further.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies