Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I indicate on my state return that I paid the tax due already on my state's tax portal?

I'm ready to file and have a tax due on my state (Illinois) return.  Have not had any state tax due on prior years.

I went on the state tax portal (mytax.illinois.gov) and paid the tax due identifying it as an IL-1040 payment.  That's not an (ES) estimated payment.

I don't see a way to indicate that I paid the tax in TT.  I only see where to enter Estimated Tax payments.

Should I enter the IL-1040 tax I paid as an Estimated Payment, (and the return would show no tax due) or if the return shows the tax due, does the software give me a different way to indicate the tax has already been paid when filing?  I do have a confirmation code for the state tax payment.

Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

How can I indicate on my state return that I paid the tax due already on my state's tax portal?

I disagree with the answer to enter it as an estimated payment.   All you have to do is say you will mail a check and then don't.  The payment will match up to your return.  That's normal.  Your return should always say the end result of your return.  Like if you paid it after filing your return won't update in Turbo Tax or on the copy you print out.    

View solution in original post

8 Replies
TomK2023
Expert Alumni

Enter your payment as estimated taxes paid to the state for 2023.

Enter State payment 2023:

1. Open your return.
  2. Click on Federal tab.
  3. Click on Deductions & Credits.
  4. Click on Edit/Add to right of Estimated Tax Payments
  5. Click on Start/Revisit to the right of State estimated taxes for 2023.
  6. Enter State, Date, and Amount paid, then Continue & Done.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Additional question:

In this case, assuming the state return shows a tax due, does TT give me the option to skip entering payment details when filing the return?

Thanks

DawnC
Expert Alumni

No, but you can select Pay by Check and skip entering any payment info.   Since I pay any tax due directly to the IRS or state, I always choose pay by check.  TurboTax doesn't track your tax payments, only your payment of TurboTax fees.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I disagree with the answer to enter it as an estimated payment.   All you have to do is say you will mail a check and then don't.  The payment will match up to your return.  That's normal.  Your return should always say the end result of your return.  Like if you paid it after filing your return won't update in Turbo Tax or on the copy you print out.    

DawnC,

Thank you very much.  Is that an option if I file electronically?

Of course.  

Thank you VolvoGirl,

I was just advised not to enter it as an estimated payment by the state tax support line also.

And to wait for the payment to match up to the return later.

Good.  If you had entered it as estimated payment the state would send you a letter adjusting it off and saying you owe.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies