Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

How can I get the excess FSA contribution?

I moved job and as a result of working for two companies, I contributed to a total of $7.5K in FSA, which is $2.5K extra than the maximum allowed by the government. 


I contacted my previous employer who held the $2.5K to get a refund but they said they can't refund it.

Is this true? How can I get that excess fund refunded? 



2 Replies
Expert Alumni

How can I get the excess FSA contribution?

If the FSA account was for dependent care expenses, the software will take the excess contribution into account when you complete Form 2441, Dependent Care expenses, and the excess will be reported as taxable income.


  1. After you enter your W-2 information 

  2. Click Continue on the page Do any of these common situations apply this W-2 

  3. The next page asks Did your employer provide child or dependent care on-site at your workplace. Answer Yes of No then click continue 

  4. Next page is Did you have a Flexible Spending Account to pay for child care 

  5. Click yes and the next page will ask you the leftover unused amount of your FSA account 


**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
New Member

How can I get the excess FSA contribution?

Thanks for the answer, but I'm NOT asking how to file the tax. 

I'm asking IF and HOW can I get the excess money BACK from the FSA provider given that I contributed more than $5K.


Can you help provide me with that information?


Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings