Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I get less taxes taken out of my weekly checks. I have no dependents. I get alot taken off my checks & get a pretty small refund every year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

How can I get less taxes taken out of my weekly checks. I have no dependents. I get alot taken off my checks & get a pretty small refund every year.

You will need to give your employer a new W-4 for tax withholding from your wages.

Go to this IRS website for a tax withholding estimator - https://www.irs.gov/individuals/tax-withholding-estimator

A small refund is not a bad thing. It means your tax liability and withholding were about equal. A large refund means you made an interest-free loan to the US Government for the year. Decreasing your withholding may not be wise. If not enough is withheld, then you will be subject to underpayment of tax penalties. Additional penalties would be assessed if you could not pay 100% of the balance due by the return's original due date (usually 4/15 of the following year)

here are the rules to avoid these Federal penalties. If you have a state income tax its rules may be different.

1) Federal withholding equals or exceeds 90% of your 2024 tax or

2) Federal withholding equals or exceeds100% of your 2023 tax (110% if your 2023 adjusted gross income was more than $150K) or

3) The federal balance due after subtracting those taxes withheld from 90% of your 2024 tax is less than $1,000 or

4) your total Federal taxes are less than $1,000

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies