turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

msstol

How can I fix a rejected ammendment with the Desktop version?

I need to file an ammendment for a 2023 return. The original return was filed using the Desktop version. In the original return, we listed my husband (who passed in 2023) first. I didn't think anything of this - it was the default pre-populated information from TurboTax because we always filed with him first. This return was accepted and processed by the IRS. 

E-Filed the ammendment with TurboTax Desktop, but the ammendment was rejected by the IRS because "IND-901 - The Primary SSN in the Return Header has been locked because Social Security Administration records indicate the number belongs to a deceased individual." I fixed the ammendment to list myself first and my husband second. HOWEVER, TurboTax will not allow me to e-file because they have no record of an original 1040 to be ammended. 

When I sign in to the TurboTax website, there is no record of the 2023 return or ammendment; however, they do have our 2021 and 2022 return there, even though we used the Desktop version for those returns.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

I am so sorry for your loss.  You will need to print and mail the amendment and attach a note that your spouse is deceased and you were unable to efile.  Next year start a new account witn no information on it about your spouse.

I think you will have to print and mail the amended return.  Does your original return say Deceased and date at the top?  Sorry for your loss.  My husband passed in 2023 also.   He was listed first.  Next year I will have to start a new return and file Single without transferring from 2023.  

I am sorry for your loss and your information is completely accurate.  

msstol

I also think I have to print and return. The original does say deceased with the date on the top. It was just interesting that the original was accepted and processed, but the ammendment had problems. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies