turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I file only my state tax return through TurboTax? I am only getting the option to file both or just the federal.

I have already filed my federal tax return and only need to submit the state tax return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Kat
Level 15
Level 15

How can I file only my state tax return through TurboTax? I am only getting the option to file both or just the federal.

Your e-filed federal return must first be accepted by the IRS before you'll be allowed to e-file your state return.  Once your federal return is accepted, follow the instructions I'm linking below to e-file your state return.

How do I e-file my state return after I already filed my federal? 

*** I am NOT a tax expert. I am a seasoned TurboTax user, and volunteer to provide assistance to TT users. Nothing I post is to be considered TAX ADVICE; I bear no legal liability for responses.***

Or...do you mean that you filed your federal return using some other software?   And now you just want to prepare a state return?

When you use TurboTax the information flows from the federal return to the state return.  You cannot use TT to prepare a "stand alone" state return.  Try going to your state's tax website to see if you can file there.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-contact-my-state-department-of-revenue/0...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies