turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I enter a 1099-misc(for a taxable fringe benefit with no pay) so it is entered on line 21with explanation and amount, I am not self employed or have a business?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

How can I enter a 1099-misc(for a taxable fringe benefit with no pay) so it is entered on line 21with explanation and amount, I am not self employed or have a business?

To enter other income on line 21 take the following steps

1. click on Federal Taxes
  2. Income & Expenses
  3. Scroll down and click Show More next to Other Common Income
  4. Click Start next to 1099-MISC
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
yv2na

I have done that but it will not show what the 1099 was for on other income line just the amount.  It should say 1099 Misc taxable fringe benefit it just list the amount with no explanation next to it

yv2na

How can I get the type of other income and amount on other income line on my tax return

KarenJ2
Expert Alumni

The other income detail is on Schedule 1 not on the 2 page 1040.  Schedule 1 totals the Additional Income and Adjustments to Income. You will find your detail on Line 8, Schedule 1.

The problem is that the program is asking a bunch of inapplicable questions about the business that earned the income reported on the 1099-misc. There is no business. I'm retired and received the 1099-misc for union fringe benefits. There is no business to name or describe, and no industry in which the business operates. I receive this every year, and have used TurboTax in the past without any issues. I feel like this is going to screw up my return, and am seriously considering using a different tax preparation program that contemplates the situation.  

LeonardS
Expert Alumni

To enter your 1099-MISC for fringe benefits follow these steps.

• With TurboTax open select  Wages & Income.
  • Scroll down to Less Common Income and select Miscellaneous Income, 1099-A, 1099-C
  • On the next page, select Other reportable income
  • On the page, Other Taxable Income enter Fringe Benefits in the description. 

This will put the income on Schedule 1 Line 8 of your Form 1040, as required by the IRS.  You will pay state and federal income tax on the amount, but it will not be subject to self-employment tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies