turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

How can I be showing a federal and state refund with no withholding or estimated payments made?

I was unemployed and lived off of my savings and < $5,000 in investment income. I'm reporting my investment income, but it is less than the standard deduction. Turbotax is showing me getting a large federal and state refund (largely b/c of medical expenses and property tax credits), but I don't know how this is possible, since I made no payments that need to be refunded. Should I even file taxes? Help!
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LeeM

How can I be showing a federal and state refund with no withholding or estimated payments made?

Yes, there are certain credits you may be entitled to due to your income, such as the Earned Income Credit, etc. 

There are considered refundable tax credits. That means that even if you paid no income tax, you are still entitled to those credits. 

You can find more information below about refundable tax credits. You can also review All nonrefundable tax credits in the “Taxes and Credits” section of your 1040 and 1040A forms (usually on page 2), or under the “Payments, Credits, and Tax” section if using the 1040EZ

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/What-Is-the-Difference-Bet...

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LeeM

Yes, there are certain credits you may be entitled to due to your income, such as the Earned Income Credit, etc. 

There are considered refundable tax credits. That means that even if you paid no income tax, you are still entitled to those credits. 

You can find more information below about refundable tax credits. You can also review All nonrefundable tax credits in the “Taxes and Credits” section of your 1040 and 1040A forms (usually on page 2), or under the “Payments, Credits, and Tax” section if using the 1040EZ

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/Tax-Deductions-and-Credits/What-Is-the-Difference-Bet...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies