Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

House sale write off

I recently sold my home and had fixed the house up quite a bit during my time living their with improvements. Is there a tax form that I put for all the cost of the upgrades and fix up on the tax paper or is it just a total amount I put in for the fixing and where do I attach the receipts for them and the papers I got from donating my things was quite a lot this year since it was 40 years of my things that I had to donate due to moving to another state where do I put that in and how do I add them up or is it total and where do I put the paper of the donation? Also the house I got was a bank owned the the owner before gutted everything from sinks to garage opener machine and had leaking pipes that needed to be replaced do those go in the tax also?  Also is it true that the uhal ubox rental and storage of my things and shipped to me half way across the country can be written off for my move if it is where do I put that in the tax form. Also before the sale I had a lien on the property that I payed off before selling the property is there a form to submit that because I couldn't sell the home until that was taken off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LJane29
Employee Tax Expert

House sale write off

This article does a great job with a great list: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/jobs-and-career/guide-to-irs-form-3903-moving-expenses/L6CwmGm3...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

5 Replies
LJane29
Employee Tax Expert

House sale write off

For all the receipts/documentation on the home improvements and donations - these are not sent in with the tax return itself but you are required to provide proof of it all if the IRS questions any of the numbers.

Turbo Tax will walk you thru all the places to enter the amounts in the program for:

Sale of Home:  you'll enter in how much you paid for the house and costs of improvements and then how much you sold the house for and any costs associated with the sale.

For the lien you paid off it would depend on what the lien was for, if it was a standard mortgage then that is not something that can be included (you owed money and put the house up as collateral)

Donation of items:  you'll enter (by each receipt received from the charity) when you donated, what you donated, to whom it was donated and the fair market value (what the charity will sell the item for)

For Moving:  Moving expenses are no longer deductible (outside of military moves) on the federal return but may be deductible on you state return.

House sale write off

So for moving state returns what part am I able to detect from? The renting of the uboxes? Transportation to the holding place? Transportation to moving to the new state from the old one? Like what can I deduct?

LJane29
Employee Tax Expert

House sale write off

This article does a great job with a great list: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/jobs-and-career/guide-to-irs-form-3903-moving-expenses/L6CwmGm3...

House sale write off

it says moving cost is only before 2018 right? Now in 2022 you cant clam it anymore?

House sale write off

@Insignia wrote:

it says moving cost is only before 2018 right? Now in 2022 you cant clam it anymore?

Moving expenses are not deductible on a federal tax return, unless you are active military under permanent change of station orders, due to the tax code changes in effect for tax years 2018 thru 2025.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies