Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Homebuyer Credit, I choose "yes, but its no longer my main home" but TT automatically keeps defaulting to "no". I got a rejection email and saw it switched to "no."

I am checking the second option, but the second question does not come up as stated it should in TurboTax instructions. Is there a flaw in the software?  

1. On the Tell Us About Your Homebuyer Credit screen, answer Yes to the first question (it was still your main home on January 1, 2022)
    • To delete an unwanted 5405, answer Yes to the second question (it stopped being your main home). Then select Continue and answer Yes on the next screen. You're done

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Homebuyer Credit, I choose "yes, but its no longer my main home" but TT automatically keeps defaulting to "no". I got a rejection email and saw it switched to "no."

If the home was no longer your primary residence as of 1/1/2022  then you needed to report that on the 2021 return.   If you did not do so then you must amend the 2021 return to correct the form 5405.  

To get rid of the form 5405 that transferred over from the 2021 return because you did not handle it correctly on the 2021 return then try this ... use the delete a form option.

1. Open your return in TurboTax. (To do this, sign in to TurboTax, and select Take me to my return.)
  2. In the left-side menu, select Tax Tools Tools.
  3. In the pop-up window Tool Center, choose Delete a form.
  4. Select Delete next to the form/schedule/worksheet in the list and follow the onscreen instructions.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies