turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

separt66

Why aren't the itemized deductions I've entered represented in the 2018 summary? I'm concerned I will not get this tax benefit.

In the Itemized Deductions summary that compares 2017 to 2018, the 2017 dollar amounts are shown, but all 2018 line items show zero dollar amounts.  This does not appear accurate.  Perhaps the amount I entered in the Charitable Donations summary didn't get carried over to this field.  Also, in the same summary, my Mortgage Interest, Real Estate Taxes, and State and Local Income or Sales Taxes aren't represented the 2018 summary.  These are all significant deductions for my family, which to appear to not have been accounted for in my Federal Refund. 

See attached screenshots for views from the Turbo Tax Software.

Please advise.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
GinaG
Intuit Alumni

Why aren't the itemized deductions I've entered represented in the 2018 summary? I'm concerned I will not get this tax benefit.

Hi there!  Watch for an email from us with further instructions.
AlanT
Expert Alumni

Upon reviewing your information, it appears to be accurate.

1. The 2018 personal exemption was slated to increase to $4,150 per person before it was repealed (taken away) by Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) on December 22, 2017. This means the $16,200 exemption you saw in 2017 was taken away and reduced to $0.
  2. To help offset the lost exemption, the TCJA increased the standard deduction amount. Your standard deduction amount is $24,000 (married filing jointly).  It appears your itemized deductions are $23,738 which is less than the new standard deduction.  
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies