Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, I was recommended to file a single status for my return which was not the right status to file when I asked for help in doing so

Can I speak to a live agent
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hi, I was recommended to file a single status for my return which was not the right status to file when I asked for help in doing so

Yes I’m married but separated I asked how should I file I was told file a single status 

View solution in original post

I know to NEVER FILE with Turbo tax again in life when when asking for assistance in filing they give false information 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Are you married?  What is your situation?

If you want to speak to a live agent, if you are using the online version, you can click live up in the upper right hand corner of your screen. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes I’m married but separated I asked how should I file I was told file a single status 

JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I am unsure who told you to file single.  Perhaps the person was referring to this IRS publication.

IRS Publication 17 Your Federal Income Tax, here, page 22, states:

Unmarried persons

You are considered unmarried for the whole year if, on the last day of your tax year, you are either: 

• Unmarried, or 
  • Legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree. State law governs whether you are married or legally separated under a divorce or separate maintenance decree.

@lblessedone  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I know to NEVER FILE with Turbo tax again in life when when asking for assistance in filing they give false information 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies