Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hi, I owe state taxes this year and instead of it giving me an option to set up a payment plan it is taking from my federal return. Why is that?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Hi, I owe state taxes this year and instead of it giving me an option to set up a payment plan it is taking from my federal return. Why is that?

What you are seeing the Tax Home webpage is just the Net of the refund and the taxes owed.

Current year Taxes owed can never be paid from a current year Tax Refund.

You still have to pay the state taxes owed based on how you chose to pay those taxes in the File section of the program.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You may be looking at a total of your federal and state refunds combined.   But you can't pay your state tax bill with your federal refund.   An IRS payment plan can only be set up if you owe federal taxes.   What state do you owe?   Check your state's Dept of Revenue to see all of your payment options.   State returns are handled separately from federal returns, and not all states have the same payment options.   

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies