turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

judahy

Hi. I have several minors that will need to file Form 8615 this year due to an inheritance. Am I able to sign on turbo tax for a minor?

To clarify my question, I am asking if I will be able to sign my name in order to file taxes for minor or if I will need to find some other way to file.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

6 Replies

Hi. I have several minors that will need to file Form 8615 this year due to an inheritance. Am I able to sign on turbo tax for a minor?

What type of inheritance?  If it was cash that is not reported on a tax return.

Or did they receive a Form 1099-R as a beneficiary or some other type of tax form as a beneficiary?  If a tax form is their Social Security number on the form?

LMM02
Returning Member

Yes they did receive 1099-R form and their social is on the form.

LMM02
Returning Member

The social is not listed as social but as recipient's ID number.

@LMM02 wrote:

The social is not listed as social but as recipient's ID number.

Initially I would tell you that they have to file the Form 1099-R on their own tax return.

But I will page one of our experts who can give you exact information on this situation - @dmertz need assistance on this 1099-R issue for a minor inheriting.

LMM02
Returning Member

I am filing their own tax return for each of them, but my question is more about when it comes time to file and you sign your name to the form. Some of them of are not old enough to sign and definitely not discuss if the IRS was to need to discuss the return with somebody. Does, TurboTax have an option for the parent or guardian signing the return? How does it work when you are preparing a return on behalf of a minor?

@LMM02 

If a child can't sign his or her name, the parent, guardian, or another legally responsible person must sign the child's name in the space provided followed by the words “By (parent or guardian signature), parent or guardian for minor child.”

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies