Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help

I work for Door Dash, and I had to amend my 2021 return because messed big time on it, I put the total mileage of my car (+200k) as the amount I drove for the year, and said about 10% of that what I used to work (20k) because these numbers are impossible my deductions went through the roof up to 12k, but now my carry over 465(d) is giving me way more deductions then I should have, therefore giving me unrealistic numbers for this years returns 2022, So I want to file an extension so that my amended return is what is shown in the carry over. then do my years return with the right info.
What I need help on is that to file my extension they need a estimate of this years return, if I go through the process of giving them that estimate it will go off the inaccurate numbers, therefore It will make me pay more taxes, I'm considered working poor, I didn't even make 10k last year, I don't need to be doing this. So please Help. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Help

If you are using TurboTax Online, select Tax Tools>>Tools>>Delete a Form>>delete next to 465d.  If you get rid of the carryover, your numbers will be correct.  The amended return will not change what is in the TurboTax program after your amended return is filed. 

So basically, if you do not have any loss carryforwards, your 2021 return will have no affect at all on your 2022 return. Once deleted, you can either file the extension with the numbers you need or you can continue through and file your return. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Help

Oh no… so are you saying I didn’t need to amend at all?
I talk to tax expert and she said I did need to amend, because the numbers were so whacked. Since I did that now I owe over $200, well either way I appreciate the help. These lessons are hard to lean… 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Help

No.  You DID need to amend your 2021 return since you way overclaimed mileage.  However, your 2022 return is not affected by your amended return being accepted or not.  If you do not have a loss carryover, then you simply do not take the loss carryover for 2022.  Do your 2022 return as something completely separate from your 2021 return.  

In general, your taxes from one year do not affect your taxes for the next year other than something carry forward.  If you have nothing to carry forward, then you just do your 2022 return using only numbers that happened in 2022 like your miles and income received.  Don't include anything from 2021. 

Help

Okay… how do I know if do or don’t have a loss to carry over? 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Help

You are referencing a code 465(d) loss carryover. That would happen if you had a loss from your business that was more than the amount of money you invested in it. When you amend our 2021 return you may find that you don't have a loss anymore, and in that case you wouldn't have a code 465(d) loss carryover to 2022.

If you did have a loss from your business that was more than you invested, then the loss amount would represent a loss carryover to 2022.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies