turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Help Filing Taxes in New York/Connecticut

Hello turbotax! I would love any and all input on this if anyone has the time/information.

I recently moved from Connecticut to New York (upstate) May of 2019. I was working in Connecticut until we moved, and shortly after settling in I started  working at a job up here (New York).

What I'm wondering is the order/forms needed to ensure my taxes are done properly. I have my current job's W-2 form, but do I need to obtain my W-2 from my prior job in Connecticut and submit that first? 

Thank you in advance for any help you can spare, and hopefully I'll be able to return the favor somewhere down the road. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

You submit both W-2 forms at the same time with the same tax return.  If you follow the TTax interview instructions carefully you will see that you start with the W-2 form from the end of the year and then work backwards to the beginning of the year.  In other in your case you will enter the New York W-2 information first, then TTax will ask if you had any income from another state, that's when you enter the New York W-2 information.

Since you lived and earned income from both states you will be preparing part time resident returns for both so you need all of he documentation for earnings from both states.  See below to learn how to do this with TurboTax.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/state-taxes/help/how-do-i-file-a-part-year-state-return/00/26057

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies