turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello, on the tax calculator it said I was getting back 667. Now that I'm about to file it says I'm getting only 16 back? Very confused.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Hello, on the tax calculator it said I was getting back 667. Now that I'm about to file it says I'm getting only 16 back? Very confused.

Why rush to file your 2017 return?  Rushing to file your tax return is a recipe for a mess.  You will NOT get your refund faster.

The IRS will not be accepting or starting to process returns until January 29, 2018.  So even if you manage to e-file your 2017 return now it will just sit on the server until the IRS accepts it.  IF the IRS accepts it.

Meanwhile, during that time, if you realize that you left something off your return or need to change something—you will not be able to do anything whatsoever about it.  You will have to wait until you see if the IRS accepts your return.  And if your incorrect/incomplete tax return gets accepted for processing, then you will need to amend it—after you WAIT more for the IRS to process it.  When it is finally processed, then you will have to amend it by preparing a 1040X that can only be sent by mail.   Amending a tax return is aggravating at best, and it takes about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  So then if you are getting a bigger refund you will WAIT for it for months.

It is unlikely that you actually have everything you need this early on to file a complete and accurate tax return, since employers, banks, brokers and Social Security have until the end of January/early February to provide you with the documents needed to prepare your return.  File too soon, and then you will be asking us what to do when you receive another W-2 in the mail, or a 1099 you forgot you were supposed to get, or you will have a smack to  the forehead moment of “I forgot to enter my student loan interest, my sales tax, my mileage……”

Let your return sit there on YOUR computer for the time being.  Give it some time so that you know you have it all together before you e-file it.  If you keep it on your computer you still have the power to fix it before you file it in late January.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies

The "calculator" is not nearly as exact as the actual tax preparation program.  And, many forms are not finalized, so that may be affecting your calculations, too.  Why are you "about to file?"  The IRS will not be accepting returns until January 29.  See below.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Why rush to file your 2017 return?  Rushing to file your tax return is a recipe for a mess.  You will NOT get your refund faster.

The IRS will not be accepting or starting to process returns until January 29, 2018.  So even if you manage to e-file your 2017 return now it will just sit on the server until the IRS accepts it.  IF the IRS accepts it.

Meanwhile, during that time, if you realize that you left something off your return or need to change something—you will not be able to do anything whatsoever about it.  You will have to wait until you see if the IRS accepts your return.  And if your incorrect/incomplete tax return gets accepted for processing, then you will need to amend it—after you WAIT more for the IRS to process it.  When it is finally processed, then you will have to amend it by preparing a 1040X that can only be sent by mail.   Amending a tax return is aggravating at best, and it takes about 4 months for the IRS to process an amended return.  So then if you are getting a bigger refund you will WAIT for it for months.

It is unlikely that you actually have everything you need this early on to file a complete and accurate tax return, since employers, banks, brokers and Social Security have until the end of January/early February to provide you with the documents needed to prepare your return.  File too soon, and then you will be asking us what to do when you receive another W-2 in the mail, or a 1099 you forgot you were supposed to get, or you will have a smack to  the forehead moment of “I forgot to enter my student loan interest, my sales tax, my mileage……”

Let your return sit there on YOUR computer for the time being.  Give it some time so that you know you have it all together before you e-file it.  If you keep it on your computer you still have the power to fix it before you file it in late January.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies