Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

zwalochi

Hello, my son is 18 years old and just landed a job paying him $13 an hour. Is he exempt or not. I will file for him as a dependent in 2025. He will work May to August

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Hello, my son is 18 years old and just landed a job paying him $13 an hour. Is he exempt or not. I will file for him as a dependent in 2025. He will work May to August

No he is not exempt.  He might owe tax on his income if he makes over 14,600 in 2024.  

AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

He is not exempt from being subject to income tax.  Whether or not he will need to file a return for 2024 will depend on his earnings for the whole year.  

@zwalochi 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

No one is exempt from withholding, except maybe for foreign employee of the United Nations and other people with special legal status.  The withholding system is self-adjusting and proportional.  If we start with a basic personal exemption of $14,000, or $269 per week, he would only have taxes withheld if his weekly wage is more than $269.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies