Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Hello I file head of household and claim my mother because she does not work and only babysits. She recently got a job this week 7/8. Can I still file her on my taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Hello I file head of household and claim my mother because she does not work and only babysits. She recently got a job this week 7/8. Can I still file her on my taxes?

For 2019 next year?  Only if she makes less than $4,150 for the year.  4,150 was the amount for 2018 so 2019 will probably be a little more like 4,200.

And if she got paid for babysitting that is taxable income and needs to be reported.  That counts towards the max limit to claim her.  So if she made more than 4,150 in 2018 you couldn't claim her for 2018.

and if Mom is also collecting Social Security, some of that may become taxable as well.

She hasn't applied for social security just yet but good to know and thank you for the fast replies! 

Noted! Make sense..I don't think she's going to stick to this job lol but I was wondering since I know there going to send her a W2 how did that work. Sorry I'm barley learning how to Adult here and learning more about how to do my own taxes lol but thank you so much!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies