Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Healthcare tax credit/marginal rate

Turbotax calculates a $740 tax liability on what it says is about $2300 of income. 

I had Social Security, a pension, interests, dividends and had capital losses.  The $2300 did not include the Social Security.  Including it, I would have had about $28k.

I think the $2300 was my Taxable Income (line 11b).  I'm not sure why it hasn't shown me the AGI.  That was confusing.

The tax tables say the tax on either $2300 or $28000 is bout 10%.   But 740 is either 2.5% of the larger number or 30% of the AGI.  

After digging it said I got too much of a tax credit for my Medicare.  Somehow my brain broke down here after going through all this.

Anyone care to explain this to a tax-impaired person who may have lost more brain cells than he cares to admit?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
KristinaK
Employee Tax Expert

Healthcare tax credit/marginal rate

It seems there is an error while entering information. Without seeing your tax return it's hard to tell. You have two options:

1) Print or create a pdf of your entire tax return and go over each line to see if something sticks out. Doing a two-year comparison also helps. 

2) Create a diagnostic copy of your return (it's a sanitized version with no sensitive information in it), and we can take a look for you. Here is how you create the diagnostic copy token. 

For TurboTax Online:

• From the left menu, click Tax Tools
  • Tools
  • Share my file with agent click send
  • There will be a pop-up with a token number
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies