turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have 19yr son, a dependent. He lives @ home & is FT Juco student w/ PT job, wages ~$12.5k. Does he file independently, or do I add his W2 income to my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieH1

I have 19yr son, a dependent. He lives @ home & is FT Juco student w/ PT job, wages ~$12.5k. Does he file independently, or do I add his W2 income to my return?

He needs to file separately and claim his own income.  

You can still claim if he meets the qualifications below, but even if you claim him you cannot claim his income. On his tax return, he should mark that he can be claimed by someone else.

To claim this family member, he or she must meet these requirements to be a Qualifying Child:

Under the qualifying child rules:

Your qualifying dependent must live with you for more than half the year.

The qualifying dependent must be one of these:

Under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if married filing jointly)

Under age 24 at the end of the tax year and younger than you (or your spouse if married filing jointly)

Permanently and totally disabled

The qualifying dependent can’t have provided more than half of his or her own support.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
JulieH1

He needs to file separately and claim his own income.  

You can still claim if he meets the qualifications below, but even if you claim him you cannot claim his income. On his tax return, he should mark that he can be claimed by someone else.

To claim this family member, he or she must meet these requirements to be a Qualifying Child:

Under the qualifying child rules:

Your qualifying dependent must live with you for more than half the year.

The qualifying dependent must be one of these:

Under age 19 at the end of the year and younger than you (or your spouse if married filing jointly)

Under age 24 at the end of the tax year and younger than you (or your spouse if married filing jointly)

Permanently and totally disabled

The qualifying dependent can’t have provided more than half of his or her own support.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies