Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Have people had trouble not having taxes paid by TurboTax even thought the right bank info was given?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Have people had trouble not having taxes paid by TurboTax even thought the right bank info was given?

What about an unexpected refund?  You didn't mention that before.  Maybe the IRS adjusted your tax return and sent  you a refund instead of a tax due?   If the IRS  or state adjusted your return they will mail you a letter explaining it.   Are you sure you have a Tax Due on 1040 line 37 and not a refund on  line 35a?  

View solution in original post

9 Replies

If it is your bank account with your name on it, there should be no problem.  If not the bank will send it back to the IRS.  Then IRS will send a check.  

Are you asking about getting a Refund or paying a Tax Due?  Turbo Tax never gets or touches your money.  They only pass your bank info to the IRS and state for them to deposit or pull it out of your bank account.  Your only proof of tax due payment is your bank account or credit card showing it paid.  

Was your return Accepted?    You can check your efile status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup

When you efile you get back 2 emails. The first email only confirms the transmission. The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.

When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc. What does it say?

For a Refund, what does the IRS say at Where’s My Refund
https://www.irs.gov/refunds

The money was supposed to be taken out of the account - we were not looking for a refund. Looking at another reply where more that was was supposed to be taken out was done, potentially the solution is to not rely on TurboTax to send IRS money.

As I said above Turbo Tax doesn't send the IRS the money.  They only send the IRS your bank info.  Then the IRS takes it out of your account.  Double check your bank routing number and account number with your bank.  Some banks use different routing numbers for payments and deposits.  If the IRS hasn't taken it  yet you have to ask the IRS.

When did you efile?  Was it Accepted?  You can check your efile status here,
https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/efile-status-lookup

When you efile you get back 2 emails. The first email only confirms the transmission. The second email says if the IRS (or state) Accepted or Rejected your efile.

When you log into your account you should also see the status and if it was Accepted or Rejected, Started, Printed, Ready to Mail, etc. What does it say?

Your answer was very helpful! Thank-you for letting me understand how the withdrawals work. I went to the IRS website to find out what to do with the unexpected refund, followed their directions and included the TurboTax receipt with it stating that a withdrawal should have happened April 1. Hopefully they will waive my paying 11 days after the April 15 deadline, and hopefully they won't withdraw the money late making a double payment. And hopefully I will get credit for not depositing a refund sent in error when I knew we owed money.

What about an unexpected refund?  You didn't mention that before.  Maybe the IRS adjusted your tax return and sent  you a refund instead of a tax due?   If the IRS  or state adjusted your return they will mail you a letter explaining it.   Are you sure you have a Tax Due on 1040 line 37 and not a refund on  line 35a?  

Quite definitely we owed IRS $803 because no estimated taxes were paid for the Feds. What's really interesting is the IRS refund was the same number as the Maryland estimated taxes we paid.

I have already asked Maryland for the $619 Md refund due. Maryland changed their Web provider for taxes this past February, and we all know it's a complete mess! But that's not your fault.

Thank-you for following up!

Uh oh,   You must have mailed the Maryland estimated payment to the IRS.  Check your bank statement and see who cashed the check.   So Maryland probably didn't get the estimate and will be billing you for that amount.  

Checking my records - you are exactly correct. What I thought were Maryland estimated taxes went to IRS. They refunded that, but he still owned $803 per TurboTax. So at least I did pay the $803. I will now need to sort through the Maryland return and correct that. This would explain why there has been no Maryland refund.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies