turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kwilsontx

Has the Form 8801 update been released?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

23 Replies
KathrynG3
Expert Alumni

Yes. Form 8801 is available. Please click on the link for the Forms availability list if you have other forms you would like to check.

For more information about the Alternative Minimum Tax in 2019, click the link. When you have owed AMT in prior years, but you do not owe AMT in the current year, you may be eligible for a credit, which is calculated on Form 8801.

For more information about Form 8801, click here: 2019 IRS Form 8801 Instructions.

Hi - My turbotax home & business desktop keeps telling me Forms 6251 & 8801 are not ready

IRS says they are ready, so when can we expect them from TurboTax?

Thanks in advance for any information you have

EbonyA
Intuit Alumni

Please review the IRS forms availability for the Turbo Tax software. Currently it shows form 8801 as being finalized on 3/17/22 and 6251 on  2/25/22 @mikeyg1234.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
chmiepa55

I have not received any updates regarding forms 6251 and 8801.  They have been released and they are the only holding up my filing returns for IRS and New Jersey State

chmiepa55

I already know that and have a significant carry over.  Why aren't the forms available on Turbo tax

chmiepa55

every time on try to update my software in says I have all updates.  But when I try to file it states i am missing forms 6251 and 8801

TeresaM
Expert Alumni

The IRS is still finalizing some of their forms and because states depend on the information in the federal return, they often have a delay in some forms at the beginning of the tax season.  After they finalize, of course, TurboTax needs to integrate the changes.

Here is a link where you can see estimates for dates particular federal forms will be ready. Form 8801 Credit for Prior Year Minimum Tax is currently expected March 17th. If there is a state form based on the federal, that might take a little longer. Form 6251 should be available by Feb 25th.

IRS Forms Available Estimates

For state forms, select the type of TurboTax you are using and your state, to see when forms are expected. The dates may still change and this link will be updated.

State Tax Forms Availability Dates

Form 8801 is not available until 3/17/22.  Is this an IRS delay or Turbotax?

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Additional time is needed to implement the updated forms into the software once they are released by the IRS to ensure returns are calculating everything correctly.

@keeganjfk

41BR
Level 2

Form 8801 is available at irs.com, now.  TurboTax' support says 'it takes a couple of days' for TurboTax to incorporate IRS forms.  How is the statement in TurboTax that Form 8801 will not be available in TurboTax until 3/17/2022 consistent with that statement?  It's more than just an inconvenience to me that I must wait this long for a form already issued by the IRS.  Intuit has really dropped the ball this year.  Very disappointing.

CarissaM
Intuit Alumni

The form has to be formatted, which can take some time to do. We apologize for the inconvenience. @41BR

I'm a little confused.  TT now says Form 8801 will be available 3/10/22.  But in that section of my return the carryover has already been calculated, in my case about $6000.  Will this just be confirmed when Form 8801 is released, or might the carryover amount change?

TiffanyL
Intuit Alumni

Form 8801 will be released only when it is fully incorporated into the program and calculated as directed by the IRS to ensure your tax return is computed correctly. As far as the carryover amount, we can't say anything about that, as we can't see your return and there could be something else going on.

I would just suggest waiting for the form to become available and then, if something looks off at that time, you are welcome to come back here and let us know and we could lead you in the right direction for assistance.

@OliveMom56

manyyear
Returning Member

I have the same problem here. Turbo tax calculated the AMT carryover but the 8801 form is still not filled up and it supposed to be ready 3/11. What  一is wrong?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies