Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xkel

Has anyone had experience with a CP05 notice? How long does this take? My return was unchanged from last year, single status, with standard deduction but its being held.

I filed 1/23/24 through TurboTax with a simple W2 import, standard deduction, and file. I'm not sure what's holding up my return.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Has anyone had experience with a CP05 notice? How long does this take? My return was unchanged from last year, single status, with standard deduction but its being held.

TurboTax receives no information from the IRS after your return has been filed and accepted for processing, so no one at TT can give you any information about the delay.  Only the IRS can tell you.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp05-notice

To  call the IRS:IRS:  800-829-1040  hours 7 AM - 7 PM local time Mon-Fri

Listen to each menu before making the selection.

First choose your language. Press 1 for English.

Then do NOT choose the first choice re: "Refund", or it will send you to an automated phone line.

Instead, press 2 for "personal income tax".

Then press 1 for "form, tax history, or payment".  

Then press 3 "for all other questions."

Then press 2 "for all other questions."  It should then transfer you to an agent.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

see this IRS link for an explanation of the notice

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/understanding-your-cp05-notice 

I received my cp05 was dated March 18th. When the 60 days passed I called the irs and was told there was nothing I needed to do and that "the whole process" could take up to 120 days. Still waiting on my refund. I filed hoh, same as last year, had a new w2 as I started a new job and only had 2 dependents to claim since my oldest daughter passed in 2022. It's ridiculous to have to wait so long and not get any answers.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies