Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts Retirement/Life Events! >> Event happening NOW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

larzbr

Has anyone e-filed their taxes only to have them not actually be filed?

The money I owed was not taken out of my bank account which caused me to check on the e-file status. I refiled today.
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

@ larzbr wrote:Has anyone e-filed their taxes only to have them not actually be filed?
The money I owed was not taken out of my bank account which caused me to check on the e-file status. I refiled today.

When efiling a return, it has not been successfully efiled until the status at the Tax Home page shows the return was "accepted."   What efile status was showing when you looked at your Tax Home to check on this?   Did it say rejected, printed, started, ready to mail, or what?

Occasionally a return will be rejected, and a filer might not know it was rejected, although they should have received a status email about the decision.  That's why it's good to always double-check at the Tax Home a day or two after efiling.

Or if the efile was not submitted at all, then occasionally someone will pay for the return and fail to proceed on through the remaining screens to arrive at the final screen to actually submit it.  Do you recall going all the way to the end of the FILE interview and clicking a big orange button "Transmit Returns Now?"    That's what submits the returns.   After that, one should get 2 emails--the first saying the return was transmitted, followed by a second one in 24-48 hours (or sooner) stating that the efiled return was either accepted or rejected.    Did you get either of those emails?

Thus showing how critical it is for EVERYONE to come back a few days after filing, and checking their e-file status.  Also, a rejected e-file is considered as having never been filed by the IRS (and state).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies