Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

daves45s

Had marketplace insurance all of 2023. Had VA healthcare since February 2023. Do I have to pay back subsidys?

When I got VA Healthcare in February I didn't know I couldn't have both.  Marketplace pay almost all of my insurance.  My wife and I live on social security and my wife is on medicare (but she wasn't included) If i have to pay my subsidies back it would be about 30% of our income.  also I don't see where I file this?  Does The IRS contact me?   Hoping for some good news because this is killing me.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Had marketplace insurance all of 2023. Had VA healthcare since February 2023. Do I have to pay back subsidys?

It was your responsibility to inform the marketplace that you had other insurance coverage. 

daves45s

i know that now.  but how do i file it?  does the IRS contact me?  Do I really have to pay back all tof the subsidy's because that is 30% of my social security income? Send some good news my way!

You need to have a discussion with healthcare.gov to find out if there is any way to fix this.   The IRS is not going to fix it for you.   This is very unfortunate......and now you know you were supposed to inform healthcare.gov when you started getting healthcare from the VA.....but sadly, you continued to receive those premium credits.   Talk to healthcare.gov to see if there is any recourse.   

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
daves45s

got off the phone with healthcare.gov and they didn't know anything about this.  I can't believe I am the only one to make this mistake.  Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies