Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ddranalli

Gross Income Test for a Qualifying Relative Dependent: "Gross Income is all . . . that isn't exempt from tax." Is that 1040 Line 9 Total, 11 AGI, or 15 Taxable Income?

My Daughter turned 24 in 2023, a full-time Graduate student, I provide nearly all of her financial Support, she does have a part-time job, and by any common-sense definition she is my Dependent.  However, her Age disqualifies her as a Qualifying Child so I am trying for Qualifying Relative. If Gross income is defined as "that isn't exempt from tax" do I use Line 9 Total Income, Line 11 AGI, Line 15 Taxable Income.  It seems like it should be Line 15.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Gross Income Test for a Qualifying Relative Dependent: "Gross Income is all . . . that isn't exempt from tax." Is that 1040 Line 9 Total, 11 AGI, or 15 Taxable Income?

If the dependent child is being claimed under the qualifying relative rules, the child's gross income must be less than $4,700 for the year in 2023.

Gross income is all income in the form of money, property, and services that isn't exempt from tax. Generally, this would be line 9.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

generally line 9 but certain expenses are not allowed. for example, if she has rental property all deductions must be added back. iF she has a Schedule C, deductions from gross profit must be added back. If she was in a partnership, it's her share of gross income - not net income. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies