turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Getting divorced currently separated how should I file

1 Reply
New Member

Getting divorced currently separated how should I file

I would recommend filing "Married Filing Separately" as your status. This way your financials are kept further apart, and you are each filing your own return. Because you were legally married for 2016, this is your best option in your situation.

To change your filing status in TurboTax Online:

1. Go to "Personal Info" at the top of the page

2. Select "Edit" next to marital status

3. Select you are "Married", then answer the question "Do you want to file this return together with your spouse?"

4. Answering "No" will get you the Married Filing Separately status

5. Continue answering the questions in this section until finished

NOTE: See the link below that says "Why would I want to file separately?"


By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies