Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gambling losses in MN for non residents

I have gambling winnings in MN and WI. I live in Florida. When preparing the state returns, I am required to identify the gambling income portion in each state form.  I am not sure how to show my gambling losses on the state Turbotax form. On the federal form, it asks for your losses, however, on the state returns, I do not see that same question. How or where do I provide this information on the state returns for a person filing as a non-resident?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Gambling losses in MN for non residents

Gambling losses are an itemized deduction on both your federal return and the MN and WI returns.  When you enter the gambling losses in the Federal interview the itemized deduction automatically transfers to your MN and WI returns as an itemized deduction.  

In the state interviews TurboTax will let you know whether itemized or standard deductions are being used on each of your state returns. If the standard deduction is the best option, then the gambling losses do not affect your returns.  

For MN there is no option to change itemized deductions.  However, in the WI interview you can "Edit" the income section and then "Start/Edit" the "Adjustments to Federal AGI and Itemized Deductions" topic.  

On the "WI Itemized Deduction Adjustments" page you can enter "Gambling Losses" in one of the boxes and put in the total federal amount of gambling losses and the WI part of those losses in their respective boxes.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies