Jim97132

FYI--Turbotax help gave me inaccurate information.We moved from OR to AZ & I filed for both states. When the "Political Tax Credit" worked for OR but not AZ , Turbotax said that was likely b/c the program had been ended in AZ.

This is inaccurate. AZ does still have it. When I searched "Charitable Tax Credit" (the term AZ uses) I was successful. --James Pinneo
CathyD

There are only 4 states that have 'Political Tax Credits " they are Or, Arkansas, Ohio and Va.

The IRS is very clear about whether you can deduct political campaign contributions from your Federal income taxes: The answer is a stone cold NO. But when it comes to individual states, that's not the whole story.

While no state lets you deduct political contributions, four of them—Arkansas, Ohio, Oregon, and Virginia—actually do something better: They offer a tax credit for part or all of your contribution, up to a certain amount.

The idea behind the credit is to encourage a wider range of of people to participate in the political donation process, which is largely driven by affluent, conservative Americans, according to the Poverty Action Lab.

The credits, which previously were also offered in Arizona and Minnesota, have been controversial. In Oregon, for example, critics have complained that they cost the state around $7 million in the last election cycle and encourage PACs to solicit donations with come-ons promising that "your gift may cost you nothing.".