Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

NicoDude

Fradulent Paper return got processed before my paper return , what to do now ?

I filled my return in Feb this year. I received notice for a refund which wasn't due to me. On calling back the number on IRS notice 5071C ,  I was told someone filed a paper return using my personal information and ssn. They flagged that return. I am finding it hard to believe how a fraudulent paper return got processed before my paper return when I filled early in Feb. At this point, there is no information about the return I sent in in Feb. Could it be that there was a mistake in processing my paper return and it got mixed up with someone else's return or my return got compromised en-route although USPS tracking says it got delivered within a few days of me sending it out?. I was in the process of filing an affidavit for id theft 14039 but my account got flagged for id-theft through irs before that, not sure if I need to send it now.

I was told, I will receive an IP PIN to file taxes for the next season. I am not owed a refund but I still need to file my return this year. I am not sure what to do? Assume my paper return got lost and send a copy of the return I had kept again or e-file if I am allowed to. Please advise

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Did you pay your tax due by May 17?

Did you write "2020 form 1040" and your SSN on the check.?

You will need receipts to prove you paid.

IRS lost my brother-in-law's payment record and keep asking him to pay again or face a levy.

you can not efile since the IRS already has a return.  most likely the IRS got your return but it takes a long time to work through your return and the fraudulent one.  even in cases where no fraudulent return has been filed, it has taken the IRS more than 6 months to process some paper returns. even as of this date some paper returns filed in February have not been processed.  Call back and talk to an agent to see if they have a copy of your return. if not ask them what should be done.  if the IRS has your return mailing in a second copy will cause additional problems. 

what you refer to as a fraudulent return may be a rare situation where a person files, without intent,  using the wrong SSN. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies