Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

celove23

Form W-7 for an ITIN for my spouse is saying I need to send application with current year's tax return?

I cannot e-file via Turbotax without providing an ITIN for my Irish husband.  I am filing separately from him, but still need to file as "married", so he needs to be included.  Turbotax tells me to fill out a W-7 form.  The instructions for the W-7 are to fill out and send with documentation AND your complete tax return: "If you’re applying for a new ITIN, complete and attach Form W-7 to your tax return
when you file the tax return for which the ITIN is needed."

How can I get an ITIN number for my husband, if I can't send them my tax returns with the W-7 application?
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
TomD8
Level 15

Form W-7 for an ITIN for my spouse is saying I need to send application with current year's tax return?

This explains the procedure for obtaining an ITIN and filing the application with your tax return:  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/individual-taxpayer-identification-number-itin

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
celove23

I understand the instructions.  But if I follow those laid out instructions, of sending the W-7 form, certified documents, and my tax return, to the indicated IRS address, I wouldn't be able to use Turbo Tax or any e-filing services, correct? I'd have to fill them out the old fashioned way.  Because Turbo Tax doesn't allow me to go further in my tax return without filling in the ITIN for my spouse.  Chicken, egg...
TomD8
Level 15

You can certainly use TurboTax to prepare your return, but you have to print it and mail it.  You can't e-file a return that includes an ITIN application.
**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies