turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tanyarm4

I need to send the form 8965 but i dont want to fill out the wrong part. What should I do?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DonaldM

I need to send the form 8965 but i dont want to fill out the wrong part. What should I do?

Form 8965, Health Coverage Exemptions, is filed with your 2016 return if you (or anyone else on your return) didn’t have health insurance coverage for the entire year, as required by the Affordable Care Act.

Form 8965 is used to:

• Report an exemption you can claim to waive the penalty for not having insurance
  • Calculate the penalty for not having insurance, if you don’t qualify for an exemption

If you tell us you didn’t have health insurance coverage or only had it for part of 2016 (in the Health Insurance section under Federal Taxes), we’ll create Form 8965 and see if you qualify for an exemption.

Exemptions are available based on a number of circumstances, including certain hardships, some life events, health coverage or financial status, and membership in some groups. Most exemptions can be claimed on your tax return. Some require you to mail an application to the Marketplace. Either way, we’ll let you know if you qualify and if you need to take any additional steps.

We handle the calculation of the penalty (Shared Responsibility Payment). For 2016, the penalty will be the larger of either 2.5% of your household taxable income or a flat dollar amount per household. The flat tax is $695 per each adult ($347.50 per child).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies