turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8949 for Long Term Stock Sales

I imported 1099-B entries from my brokerage.  The entries are all there in Turbo Tax, but the Form 8949 entries are missing for a bunch of transactions when I print the forms. 

In looking at where it started displaying 1099-B items on the 8949 form, it seems that the form picks up at the first long-term transaction in the 1099-B that had a "W"ash code and then fills in the form 8949 starting there for all the remaining long term entries (including those without adjustment tags on the 1099-Bs).  There are about 35 entries missing from the 8949.

Should I manually enter the missing ones on extra 8949 pages, or is there a modification I can make to the 1099 entries that would force the missing ones to show up, or, should I just leave it alone?

Thanks in advance!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

look for the total proceeds of those 35 transactions on Schedule D Line 1a, or on Line 8a if they are Long Term.

If that checks out you can e-File. I suspect TurboTax has used the aggregation rule until it hit a wash sale and then stopped aggregating.

Reply back if I'm right; it's sloppy programming.

the total proceeds reported on Line 8a and Line 8b should sum to the total Long Term Proceeds reported on your 1099-B.

Anonymous
Not applicable

if the total proceeds don't agree you can delete the import.  and try again 

I think you're probably right.  I was a programmer in my prior life and that caused me to go in to the first 1099-B and modify it so it was a "Wash" and magically all the 1099-B long term entries were listed.   Definitely an undocumented design "Feature" as we used to say. 

I'm going to try re-importing all 300 entries to see if it gets any better...I'm pretty sure it won't though. 

Thanks for your responses! 

not exactly what I had in mind , but, whatever.

If Line 8a doesn't have that total, it is a serious bug in Turbotax.

where does Form 8949 show the reduction in taxable value for long term stock sales

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

If you are referring to the lower tax rates for long-term capital gains, it is not shown on Form 8949.  

The calculation of the reduced tax on long-term capital gains is shown on the Qualified Dividends and Capital Gain Tax Worksheet.  When you print or view your complete tax return, you will find that worksheet included as part of your return.

@BuddyTB1-

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies