Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kiki
Level 4

FORM 8949 / 1099B HOW CAN I REPORT? Date Acquired is N/A , Cost basis, Gain or Loss are Blank

Hello,   I need your help.  Any replies would be very helpful for me and greatly appreciated. 

In Consolidated 1099s From from TD Ameritrade,

"SUMMARY OF PROCEEDS, GAINS & LOSSES, ADJUSTMENTS AND WITHHOLDING"

Form 8949 type

Undetermined  B or E (basis not reported to the IRS)      Proceeds  $7.78   

(1099B  PROCEEDS FROM BROKER AND BARTER EXCHANGE TRANSACTIONS)

"UNDETERMINED TERM TRANSACTIONS FOR NONCOVERED TAX LOTS"

Date sold         Quantity     Proceeds       Date                 Cost or            Accrued mkt     Gain           Additional 

deposed                                                      Acquired         other basis      disc & wash..     Loss          Information

08/01/020             0                 1.39             N/A                   ......                     .....                    ....          Cost basis Factor

0.00047139

07/31/2020          0                  0.23             N/A                   .....                     ......                 ......           Cost basis Factor

0.00025368

*There are 4 different ETFs (PPLT, IAU, SLV, and GLD)  and multiple proceeds / dates sold or disposed 

*Additional Information in each transaction (proceed), it says "Principal payment, Cost Basis Factor: 0.000xxxxxxxx.

Also, in Endnotes, it says

This transaction represents the sale of assets from a Widely Held Fixed Investment Trust (WHFIT).  The cost basis allocation factor is the value of the assets sold divided by the total net asset value of the trust. If you know your cost of the assets sold, use that to determine your gain/loss. Otherwise, determine your cost basis by multiplying your adjusted cost basis by the cost basis allocation factor. For example, If your adjusted basis is $10000 and the cost basis allocation factor is 0.005 your cost basis allocated to that sale is $1000*0.005 or $5.  

Also, it says

This trust invests exclusively in "collectibles". Gains recognized from the sale of "collectibles" held for more than one year are taxed at a maximum federal income tax rate of 28%. 

I leave Blank for the date acquired and Blank for the Cost basis.  But TT keeps telling me "Needs Review"

I purchased these ETFs in 2020, and just holding (never sold yet)   

What is the remedy for a solution in the correct way following IRS rules?

Also, Descriptions (name of ETFs) and Dates and $ in the Statement of "FEES and EXPENSES" (Gross Proceeds Investment Expense total $ 7.78)" are EXACTLY same as the descriptions and details of 8949 above.

Can I report this Fees and Expenses somewhere?  If so, how and where should I do?

I greatly appreciate any suggestions, advice, and comments.

Thank you very much.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

FORM 8949 / 1099B HOW CAN I REPORT? Date Acquired is N/A , Cost basis, Gain or Loss are Blank

1099B PROCEEDS FROM BROKER AND BARTER EXCHANGE TRANSACTIONS)

"UNDETERMINED TERM TRANSACTIONS FOR NONCOVERED TAX LOTS"

Date sold Quantity Proceeds Date Cost or Accrued mkt Gain Additional

deposed Acquired other basis disc & wash.. Loss Information

08/01/020 0 1.39 N/A ...... ..... .... Cost basis Factor

07/31/2020 0 0.23 N/A ..... ...... ...... Cost basis Factor

*There are 4 different ETFs (PPLT, IAU, SLV, and GLD) and multiple proceeds / dates sold or disposed

*Additional Information in each transaction (proceed), it says "Principal payment, Cost Basis Factor: 0.000xxxxxxxx.

Also, in Endnotes, it says

This transaction represents the sale of assets from a Widely Held Fixed Investment Trust (WHFIT). The cost basis allocation factor is the value of the assets sold divided by the total net asset value of the trust. If you know your cost of the assets sold, use that to determine your gain/loss. Otherwise, determine your cost basis by multiplying your adjusted cost basis by the cost basis allocation factor. For example, If your adjusted basis is $10000 and the cost basis allocation factor is 0.005 your cost basis allocated to that sale is $1000*0.005 or $5.

a cost must be entered. Turbotax does not accept a bank box for cost. for cost basis since you're talking so few $$$'s of proceeds you could use $0 for cost, or cost = proceeds, or follow the instructions by multiplying the CBAF by your adjusted cost basis (ACB). for the first sale of a fund, your ACB is your original cost. then that cost must be reduced by the ACB of the first sale to come up with your new ACB. the new ACB is multiplied by the CBAF for a second sale to come up with that cost and so on. since all the purchases were in 2020 for the acquisition date use  thee sales date 

Also, it says

This trust invests exclusively in "collectibles". Gains recognized from the sale of "collectibles" held for more than one year are taxed at a maximum federal income tax rate of 28%.

Irrelevant - all your sales are short 

I leave Blank for the date acquired and Blank for the Cost basis. But TT keeps telling me "Needs Review"

I purchased these ETFs in 2020, and just holding (never sold yet)

What is the remedy for a solution in the correct way following IRS rules? IRS rules for cost basis is determined under either method cited on the 1099-B. date doesn't matter because it's not reported to the IRS and all sales are short-term 

Also, Descriptions (name of ETFs) and Dates and $ in the Statement of "FEES and EXPENSES" (Gross Proceeds Investment Expense total $ 7.78)" are EXACTLY same as the descriptions and details of 8949 above.

Can I report this Fees and Expenses somewhere? If so, how and where should I do?

the federal tax laws eliminated the deduction of investment expenses through the year 2025 so there is no need to enter them unless your state allows itemized deductions but the total is probably too small to matter 

Kiki
Level 4

Dear Mike9421

Thank you very much for your prompt reply!   I really appreciate it.

I decided to take  Cost = Proceeds instead of entering $0, since the Proceeds are the Fees & Expenses at the same time.  This way, I can report and adjust for the Fees & Expenses, and feels fair.

Anyway, THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR YOUR HELP AND SHARING YOUR KNOWLEDGE !

What did you do about "Date Acquired" since it was NA? I'm having a problem with this since I acquired the shares on various dates.

RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

Enter 'Various' for the date acquired.  That's a valid entry.

@shurtliffjr 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies