Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8938 not working

Hi all, it still appears that Form 8938 is not working in the web version as of March 9, 2021. 

Searching for Form 8938 (using the instructions here) allows me to fill out the questionnaire , however when I go to check the return in the print view there is no Form 8938 included. Further, when I go back to check the form in the Turbotax questionnaire, none of the information I have filled out is saved.

According to the availability list here Form 8938 is available, however it appears that it has not been implemented and filing your return will not include this form. 

Can Turbotax please let us know when this will be fixed?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Form 8938 not working

Thank you DaveF1006,

The issue turned out to be as follows:

Using the 'jump to' option would always result in input values not being saved and not appearing in the print view. Now that the form is available, I was able to find it under "Other Tax Situations", then "Other Tax Forms", then "Prepare a report on foreign financial assets". Once I input the data through this route it was saved an appeared in the print view.

View solution in original post

Form 8938 not working

I spoke to TurboTax support as I was having the same problem this year and they said that it was a known bug that they were working on.

However, what worked for me this year was this:

I went into Form 8938 through the same ‘Other Tax Situations’ route that I described in my post above, however as soon as I filled it out I immediately went to the end of the interview and previewed and saved the filing as a PDF. If you do this right away after filling out Form 8938 it will be there, however if you go back to income or deductions it disappears and you have to start over again!

Note that you can only preview the return if you have already paid.

Then, I finished my return over the the next few days. I printed out the final return, as well as the one I had saved earlier that included the Form 8938, inserted the printed Form 8938 into my final return and then signed and mailed it.

Hopefully this will save some people some time as filing in the forms over and over again is not a good use of time.

View solution in original post

13 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Form 8938 not working

It depends. According to this link from IRS.gov., "if the market value of their foreign financial assets is greater than $100,000 on the last day of the year or greater than $150,000 at any time during the year." If your situation falls within these parameters, here is how you will access your 8938 in Turbo Tax Online.

1. After logging into Turbo Tax and begin working on your return
  2. Go to the search box with the magnifying glass and type in 8938.
  3. Select the enter key and then select the link that says jump to 8938.
  4. Here is where you would start entering information that will complete your 8938 form in Turbo Tax

Aaronbeh, I have checked my Turbo Tax Online version and this is working just fine. If you experience additional problems, please call tax support at 1-800-446-8848 because they have the ability to look at your return and pinpoint any issues that is causing this dilemma.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 8938 not working

Thank you DaveF1006,

The issue turned out to be as follows:

Using the 'jump to' option would always result in input values not being saved and not appearing in the print view. Now that the form is available, I was able to find it under "Other Tax Situations", then "Other Tax Forms", then "Prepare a report on foreign financial assets". Once I input the data through this route it was saved an appeared in the print view.

Form 8938 not working

Unfortunately, I tried that workaround, and the form still does not get produced with Online TurboTax. I spent about an hour with TurboTax tech support (really nice person), but there was no fix. The only solution they had was to restart everything on the Desktop version. I tried that and it worked on the Desktop Version. 

It's shocking this bug exists on the Online Version. There is no warning from TurboTax that it has failed to produce the form. I only realized the failure after thoroughly checking the printed forms before e-filing. The IRS says that failure to file Form 8938 results in a $10,000 penalty, per month! This is a situation of Turbotax not only failing to save you money, but instead causing you to pay huge penalties. 

Form 8938 not working

I have the exactly same situation with sand62. I tried many times but the form 8938 did not come up in the form 1040X.

How can I get the desktop version ?

mrawl

Form 8938 not working

Wow, I just found this **after** filing my 2021 return. I was absolutely shocked to find that it is missing forms 8938, 1116 and even Schedule B. What on earth???? 

Intuit, what is going on here? I just talked to online help and they couldn't help me. Turbotax is not even offering the option to amend my return, possibly because it hasn't been accepted by California yet.

Form 8938 not working

same issue, my question here.  Searching through the community I see multiple people having the same issue with TT online and TT don't address it,   I don't think it's acceptable to say you need to download the desktop version to make it work ...this is 2022 for xxxx sake!

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/prepare-a-report-on-foreign-financial-assets-tt-o...

Evie3

Form 8938 not working

Thank you! I have noticed this and am waiting for TurboTax support person #3 to call me back about it. I think I will fill out the form separately and just include it with my return that way

Evie3

Form 8938 not working

Same issue here, as of 3/27/22. It is not saving nor printing the info I entered for form 8938

Form 8938 not working

I spoke to TurboTax support as I was having the same problem this year and they said that it was a known bug that they were working on.

However, what worked for me this year was this:

I went into Form 8938 through the same ‘Other Tax Situations’ route that I described in my post above, however as soon as I filled it out I immediately went to the end of the interview and previewed and saved the filing as a PDF. If you do this right away after filling out Form 8938 it will be there, however if you go back to income or deductions it disappears and you have to start over again!

Note that you can only preview the return if you have already paid.

Then, I finished my return over the the next few days. I printed out the final return, as well as the one I had saved earlier that included the Form 8938, inserted the printed Form 8938 into my final return and then signed and mailed it.

Hopefully this will save some people some time as filing in the forms over and over again is not a good use of time.

nizuko

Form 8938 not working

Still doesn't work. Walked through it with customer support and they verified it is busted. Requesting refund.

Form 8938 not working

For 2022 Form 8938 Copies Not Working: 2022

When completing Form 8938 copies in Part VI Line 31 Part C and Part D indicates an Error.

Reading Line 31 it only requires a response if any of the conditions exist. So why are  answers C and D shown in red?

Even if you X --- c. or d. response the error indication does not go away.

Form 8938 not working

Not sure if this is the same issue, however I found that if I filled in an address as US-based (forgetting to switch the radio button to Foreign), and then switched to Foreign, the form would give me an error that I needed to correct the address, with no combination of changes allowing me to move forward (or backward). The only solution was to completely close the browser window and re log in.

Also, a word of warning - my federal return was rejected (due to another bug, see below), and when I went to refile all of my entries in Form 8938 were deleted. This is the same behavior as previous years. I thus had to start over again and re-enter everything.

Second word of warning - my federal return was rejected due to Form 1116 Line 3b requiring a comment. The comment does exist, and is in the printed TurboTax submission, however for some reason either TurboTax is not routing it correctly or the Federal system is not picking it up. Due to both this, and the deleted Form 8938 above, I am once again filing by mail this year. Very frustrating.

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

Form 8938 not working

When filling out form 8938, you will want to ensure that foreign is checked and that you did not enter the information as US based.  When filling out the form, if you select US based, the form will give the error for lines c &d.  If you have verified the form is not marked as US based and are still receiving an error, please respond to this thread.

@hoedlb1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies