Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 8880 Net Income or Gross Adjusted

I'm confused over what to put in. I have a W2 job and I'm also self employed (filing a schedule C). In addition, because of Covid I collected unemployment in 2020. I contributed the max $6k to my roth IRA. Altogether, my adjusted gross income was just over the limit of $32500 specified on form 8880. Without the unemployment income, I would be well under this limit. Also, just based on self employment income, I'd also be well under the limit.

However, I'm comparing Turbo tax to another popular online tax software that asks for my net self employed income when filling out the retirement contribution portion. At no stage does it ask for adjusted gross. So which one is it for my situation?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ErnieS0
Expert Alumni

Form 8880 Net Income or Gross Adjusted

The credit amount is based on line 11 of Form 1040, adjusted gross income (AGI). In your case AGI includes your W-2, net earnings from self-employment and unemployment minus a deduction for half your self-employment tax.

TurboTax calculates AGI and Form 8880 for you.

The Retirement Savings Contributions Credit (Saver’s Credit) a special tax break to low- and moderate-income taxpayers who are saving for retirement. Depending on your adjusted gross income and tax filing status, you can claim the credit for 50%, 20% or 10% of the first $2,000 you contribute during the year to a retirement account. Therefore, the maximum credit amounts that can be claimed are $1,000, $400 or $200.

Learn more at What Is the Savers Credit?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies