Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 7206 Conflicting Answers

I am trying to file my taxes, and it is saying form 7206 isn't available until 2/7/24.

I am doing my taxes online, and upgraded to live "help" - but each person I talk to at Turbo Tax continues to give me a different answer.

One Turbo Tax agent blamed it on Congress, and said until Congress passed a bill form 7206 wasn't available.

Another Turbo Tax agent blamed the IRS and said they got the form late and Turbo Tax engineers were working on it as quick as possible.

The next Turbo Tax agent said the form would be ready 2/2/24. And when I told her the website said 2/7/24 she said "oh that's right, 2/7.

Another Turbo Tax agent said 2/7 was just an estimate, and they had no idea when it would be available.

Does anyone have the proper, correct, information on why Turbo Tax is not allowing people to file and what is the true and accurate status of the 7206 form.

It's really frustrating as a paying client that Turbo Tax is all over the place on what is happening. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Here is an article you can reference that will tell you particular forms availability. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks. Yes I looked at that. It still doesn't give the reason for the delay . . . and the agent said the 2/7/24 date is "just an estimate". 

The original date was January so they keep changing the date and moving it, which is delaying me from filing. 

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

Once a form is finalized by the IRS, it has to be coded into the special language the software uses and has to be thoroughly tested for calculations and e-filing acceptability.  The IRS then has to approve it for e-file.  It always takes a little longer for a form to become available for e-file in a software program.  The dates are subject to change due to all that needs to be done. 

@CatinaT1 Thank you for responding, but I hope you can provide some additional information that is more specific than the generalized statement you posted.  I reported this error earlier in a post when the release date was still January 31.  The only change I have seen since then is the release date being changed to February 7.

This was just about the time that all the file unpleasantness was being exposed and escalated, an understandable distraction that also affected me.

I now find that the IRS web site now shows the completed Form 7206, and H & R Block shows it is also available for completion and filing in their system.  The 7206 in my return is shown completely and accurately filled in. However it still has the re DO NOT FILE warning below 2023 at the top.  The Forms list in my return also is flagged with a red ! warning.

It seems that the only roadblock is for TT to activate the approved form.  Would you confirm that this is the case?

This deficiency has a great deal of urgency for me as I will be out of the country starting February 6 for an extensive period.  What timing update can you obtain specifically regarding 7206?

Thanks,  John

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

We in this forum are Tax Experts (EAs, CPAs, etc.) hired to answer Tax Questions for TurboTax customers.  We are no more privy to the schedules of coding updates to the TurboTax program than anyone else, unfortunately.  We look at the same Tax Forms Availability link as you do!

We do try to pass along whatever info trickles down to us, as we receive it.  You could try deleting Form 7206 in Forms mode, and letting it re-populate to see when the Red ! warning no longer appears, on or around 2/7/2024. 

If you are bringing a laptop along with you, hopefully you will be able to complete your Efile as soon as Form 7206 is ready.  

@jbkennedy123 

I no longer receive errors that Form 7206 is not completed, but TT is indicating taxes cannot be efiled because of this Form.  Please advise if there will be a fix, or if I will have to file my taxes via mail.

AlanW2

Can this be escalated to a higher level within TT Support in order to get an updated answer on when Form 7206 will be ready for electronic filing?  I'm looking for the date assuming any coding needed for the form, and any testing to make sure that it's bug-free, etc.  Can someone withing the TT support org provide this date?

CatinaT1
Expert Alumni
Intuit Approved! This answer has been verified for accuracy by an Intuit expert employee

We know some of our customers have had issues with Form 7206. Please use this FAQ to sign up for notifications.

@Irish17 @Lcartner @AlanW2 

See new post:  Form 7206 Workaround.

My latest response ( I have been calling since 2/6), this morning from TurboTax phone support was that there is still a "bug" with some forms and they are working on this. Thus, it appears that the so called experts haven't a real clue what's going on. Deleting the form , doing it  on a laptop, or doing somersaults doesn't work.  In fact, when I gave my case number, it didn't matter, because the agent had to start again. No info was recorded! What's the purpose of a case number? I even had the 3rd rep I spoke to on 2/22 take/have access to my computer along with me and saw the messages I received when trying to transmit. She herself was totally confused. 100% accurate and ready to return and then I get this repeated 4 times :  

Duplicate filing found in same transmission. Please contact customer support.

TurboTax is not ready to process Tax Year 2023  for this return. Tax Year 2023 transmissions are not available.

Way to go Turbo Tax!  Ridiculous!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies