Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ltrinh84

Form 709 gift tax

So I have 2 brothers and I had the title for a home with one of them in California.  In 2016, we refinanced the home and transferred the title to my other brother and his wife through a grant deed.  I need to fill out gift tax form 709 correct?  What am I going to fill out in the form?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
GeoffreyG

Form 709 gift tax

While it is unlikely that you will have to pay any actual gift taxes because of this action, you will almost certainly have to file a federal Form 709 (Gift and Estate Tax Return).  California has no state-level gift tax reporting or form required, so there is no obligation to file such tax forms to the state.  But there is a federal gift reporting obligation.

That said, you should be able to learn more of what you need to know about Form 709 and gift taxes by reading the following detailed AnswerXchange post and related discussion:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3878767-joint-tenancy-and-gift-tax-question

Those same basic principles (and the $14,000 annual gift exclusion described therein) will be directly applicable to your own situation, at least with respect to the transfer of real estate property ownership interest from one brother to another.

One obvious difference from that other taxpayer's situation though is that you and your other (prior owner) brother will both have a Form 709 to each complete, for the gift of property interest to your third brother.

A second difference is that, if you structured the real estate transaction in such a way that both your third brother and his wife are joint owners on the deed, then you can take advantage of what is known as "gift-splitting" (which is described in the Form 709 instructions).  In that case, you and your gifting brother can each exclude ($14,000 + $14,000 😃 $28,000 from your respective Form 709 gift amount.

The tax theory behind this is that you are giving $14,000 to your third brother and then a separate $14,000 to his wife.  If each gifting brother reports his gift of equity in this manner, then ($28,000 x 2 😃 $56,000 can be said, in total, to have passed to the third brother and his wife free of gift tax implications. 

Please know that Form 709 is not available in any version of TurboTax, and that you would either need to fill out (and file) this form manually yourself; or you would need to hire a professional local tax preparer to do it for you.

In fact, because of the greater complexity involved with more than one gifting person on the same property, and the fact that your brother is married (and may thus be eligible for gift splitting), you would be well-advised to seek professional tax assistance with Form 709.  A local CPA, Enrolled Agent, or attorney should be able to help you (and your gifting brother) for a reasonable flat rate fee, if you shop around.

Thank you for asking this important question.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies