turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Form 709: Gift splitting confuses me

Frankly, @TexasTea, if I were going to mail the returns, I would use two separate envelopes so there is no question that two returns were filed (obviously, use a method whereby you can get some sort of proof of mailing and delivery).

As far as "connecting the dots", the IRS will likely do little, or most likely nothing, prior to exceeding the lifetime exemption or at such time as the donor is deceased and a final return is filed (and an estate tax return, at such time when a 706 is filed they tend to pull all previously filed 709s).

Thanks @tagteam for those comments:  you make a good point that I hadn't thought about of mailing separately to get proof of filing both returns.  Also appreciate the perspective about how the IRS will handle the returns.

Just stumbled upon my old thread.

When I mailed my Forms 709 last year, I mailed them in the same envelope even though "gift splitting" was not explicitly selected. I also included a brief letter explaining in English what the transaction was all about and stating that Mrs. Squirrel and I were gifting community property. I figure the simpler I could make it for the IRS, the smoother it would be handled.

A year later, I haven't heard a peep from the IRS, as expected.

@bobweissman wrote:

A year later, I haven't heard a peep from the IRS, as expected.

There is no reason for them to contact you if there is no tax due on a 709. I have heard from them decades later after filing 706s, though. I suspect they save those 709s just about forever (unlike income tax returns).

Thanks for the update @bobweissman   Including the letter sounds like a good pre-emptive move;  it's too bad there is no feedback loop from the IRS to find out what they actually do with a letter like that.  I suppose if the only thing they do is scan it and file it, at least it will be there in the file at some future date when someone reviews everything, and if that helps reduce the potential for escalation into an examination then it would make it worth the effort.

@TexasTea wrote:

too bad there is no feedback loop from the IRS to find out what they actually do with a letter like that.  I suppose if the only thing they do is scan it and file it, at least it will be there in the file at some future date when someone reviews everything

I had no expectations they would save the letter. I wrote it solely to make the receiving clerk's job easier. It was about 3 sentences, 2 of which were "Enclosed please find two Forms 709" and "My wife and I together gifted community property in the amount of $_____ to _____" or words to that effect.

Also, just in case I made a mistake filling out 709s for the first time, the clerk would understand my intent.

chubbycheeky
Returning Member

Hi TexasTea,

I have not filed yet. I am still struggling with interpretations. After reviewing the i709 again, then comparing it to other information sources online; here's what I deduced so far:

1.   You can only split gift if the gift came from your individual account. That is, an account that's in your own name solely (without your spouse's name on it). The account only holds money you had before you got married, or maybe the money was an inheritance from your folks given only to you, or you and your spouse had a prenup specifying that the money belongs only to you.

If the source of your gift is NOT from such an account, then forget about gift splitting.

1.   Married couples in community property states (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, New Mexico, Nevada, Texas, and Washington), and in Wisconsin where Marital Property Laws have been adopted, are not required to split gifts because a gift by either spouse is deemed to have been divided by each spouse.

So a Gift from one of the community property states is automatically considered a gift of community property which is treated as one-half made by each spouse. I gather that means you have to file two separate returns (one for each spouse, with each return  gifting 1/2 of the total amount received by your child).

I think that means $25k in your case, and only $14k in my case. Therefore, you have to file because 1/2 of your total gift ($25k) is over the $15k annual exclusion limit. And no gift tax return is required of me; because 1/2 of our total gift ($14k) is under the annual exclusion.

That is, until someone threw a monkey wrench into the pile by stating that "even though the gift is from a community property account, it is treated as individual property if only one spouse signed the check (even if both spouse's names are printed on the check)".  The recommendation was for each spouse to write a separate check for 1/2 of the total gift, instead.

That recommendation makes sense. So for safety sake, my husband and I will do that next year.  We will each write a check for $15k to stay under the $30k annual exclusion to avoid filing gift tax return. At the same time, the two bank checks will leave a paper trail for the gifts in case IRS comes asking for it.

Meanwhile, $28k has already been gifted away in a single transaction to our child this year, and I am back to square one bouncing between "to file" or "not to file".

At this point, I am inclined to do the following to play it safe:

Stop fiddling with split-gift. Instead, submit two separate returns: one for husband and one for myself, along with an explanation page and proof documents.

On each return, decline from GIFT-SPLITTING by answering "NO" on page 1, Part 1 - General Information, line 12; and leave line 13-18 blank.

On Schedule A, Part I:

column B -- after donee name, address, and description of gift, etc.; write "SEE DETAILS IN CONTINUATION PAGES ATTACHED".

column C --  blank
column D --  1/2 of the cost basis to purchase the 28K stocks
column E --  Signature Date for the single transfer of stocks

column F --  14k (value of the stocks at date of gift)

column G -- blank (not gift splitting)

column H -- 14k (Net Transfer)

CONTINUATION PAGE  -- 1 of 5 (Overview:(
Gift was made from a joint account in a community property state via a single transaction with only one spouse's signature. Assuming this gift is considered made 1/2 by each spouse, we would not be required to file because the amount will be under the $15k annual exclusion for each spouse.

However, because the transaction document  only shows the full amount of $28k transferred, signed by only one spouse, we are filing two separate returns to make sure that only 1/2 of that $28k is accounted for in each spouse's lifetime exclusion records for documentation purpose. I hope this will have the same effect  as gift splitting, even though the gift is from community property .

Please advice if this line of thought is incorrect, and let me know if any further information is required.

CONTINUATION PAGE  -- 2 of 5 (1st of 4-page proof document showing details of the single transfer of $28k stocks to child, signed by one parent only) -- Note on the document to indicate that the 28k is a gift of community property14k was gifted by husband, and 14k was gifted by wife, total gift received by child is 28K.

CONTINUATION PAGE  -- 3, 4, and 5 of 5 (rest of proof document).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I will mail each return in a separate envelop per  the advice of tagteam (Level 15), in order to get proof of mailing and delivery.

Hopefully, this will provide enough paper trail to set the clock ticking officially for the 3-year statue of limitation for IRS review;  as well as make it clear for future gift returns when it's time to tally up lifetime exemptions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any suggestion to correct or improve this will be appreciated.

And thanks to everyone here who have contributed to help clarify this issue.

My wife and I recently refinanced our second home and added our daughter to the mortgage and deed.  She will now be living in the house full time as a co-owner.

On investigating I discovered an example which stated that this could be handled as a gift and sell transaction. This is how it was explained.  My daughter would not only receive half ownership in the house, but also assume half the mortgage.  Is this allowable and if so once the calculations are done, if the gift value is less than $15,000 do I need to submit a 709 since she is now a co-owner and co-mortgagee.  Here is a numerical example.

House value is $200,000 so we gift her $100,000

Mortgage is $180,000 so she assumes $90,000

Therefore we have gifted her $10,000 which is less than the $15000 allowable amount.

Since the gift is less than $15,000 do we still need to submit a 709.

@Fran2021 wrote:

Since the gift is less than $15,000 do we still need to submit a 709.

No, you do not need to file a Form 709 in this instance. 

Your equity in the second home is $20,000 so that figure would be the maximum amount of the gift if you gave your daughter a 100% interest. Since you are giving her one-half, the amount of the gift is $10,000, which is well under the amount of the annual exclusion.

@Fran2021 one comment that may or may not apply to you depending on what state you live in:   if you happen to live in a community property state, you and your wife could make a gift of up to $30,000 before triggering a filing requirement for form 709, because the gift would automatically be considered to have come 1/2 from each of you.  In non-community property states, you could still make a $30,000 gift without exceeding the annual gift tax exemption, but to get that result  you would have to file a 709 and elect gift-splitting.

@chubbycheeky  I'm no lawyer but I'm questioning the validity of the statement "even though the gift is from a community property account, it is treated as individual property if only one spouse signed the check"

My understanding is that the signature(s) on the check don't matter:  community property can only become separate property with legal consent of the other spouse.  The absence of the other spouse's signature on the check would not constitute such consent, so the funds would be considered community property even if only one spouse signs the check.  Again, I'm not a lawyer so I may be misunderstanding this.  Would be interested in seeing any supporting info. 

Correct; if the gift is from a joint account (spouses as JTWROS or tenancy by the entirety, for example), or community property, the gift is treated as being from each individual according to their interests (i.e., one-half from each). 

I understand I do not need to file the 709 because the amount is less than $15,000.  But I guess I have 2 other questions.

1.  Is the explanation of my daughter not only getting half the value and half the mortgage correct and legitimate?

2.  Because it is ownership in property would the 709 still be required, even if the amount is less than $15,000.

No 709 required if the value of the gift is $15,000 or less.

Your daughter appears to be receiving a gift of equity which is $10,000. 

Have a similar community property gift question and a note regarding GST

Community Property Gift

- In WA state, a community property state

- Gifted both son's Irrevocable Trust a lot of funds from me+wife's investment account in 2020 (far beyond annual exclusion) anticipating lifetime gift/GST limit to reduce.

- Investment Advisor suggested a strategy to gift 100% from one spouse, this preserves most gift credits for the other spouse.

709 instructions states clearly gift of community property are considered 1/2 gift from each spouse. My investment account is considered community property. It seems the above none 50/50 gift of community property strategy is invalid. Correct?

Community Property or None Community Property Gift?

- Besides the above community property gift, I am also gifting an exercised stock option to son's Irrevocable Trust. The stock option was granted to me (not wife). Exercise was paid by community property funds. Exercise directly titled it to Son's Irrevocable Trust. Should I consider this community property gift or not? I'm guessing yes since the exercise was paid by community property funds?

A Note on GST

- I constantly hear people (including CPA) say if under annual exclusion, no need to file 709. This is tricky if GST Trust is the donee.

- Many Children's Irrevocable Trust is setup what is commonly called a GST Trust. Assets in this irrevocable trust is obviously no longer in donor's estate (no estate tax when you die) . But more importantly, it is also not in children's estate (no estate tax when they die). But GST exemption must be allocated to avoid GST tax when the child passes.

- Most GST Trusts do not qualify for annual GST exclusion. This is because the donor is not gifting it to skipped person (eg. grandchild) on the year of the gift. Therefore, GST has to be allocated to avoid GST tax when the child passes. This means remaining GST and gift credit differs immediately due to gift credit benefiting from annual gift exclusion while GST credits can not benefit from annual GST exclusion. Somewhere this record need to be kept. 709 is probably the best place.

- Some CPAs/Estate Lawyers advise doing 709 even under annual gift exclusion when donee is GST Trusts for record keeping purposes. When 706 is filed many years from now after your passing, it leaves a proper GST allocation trail.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies