Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 5695 Errors

Any update on when the problematic Form 5695 will be fixed?

As of today, after installing an update this morning, I continue to get errors when going through the Federal Review and Smart Check. Form 5695 has been throwing seemingly random errors for a couple of weeks now; today's is once again related to the note at the beginning of Part II, which states: "If you are married filing jointly and both you and your spouse owned and lived apart in separate homes..." Not my case, as I have specified both in the interview and manually check boxes. But somehow TT keeps insisting that I am.

I'd like to file in the next week or so, but will not do so until I get through the return error free. Thank you for your attention to this issue.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Form 5695 Errors

Some TurboTax customers may be experiencing an issue because TurboTax is incorrectly limiting the eligible costs of electric or natural gas heat pumps, electric or natural gas heat pump water heaters, and biomass stoves and boilers for the Home Energy Credit when the home is occupied by a non-spouse occupant.

We’re currently working to resolve this issue. If you’d like to receive progress updates, sign up below.

Sign in to get follow up notifications

@sissy13bug 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Cynthiad66
Expert Alumni

Form 5695 Errors

Some TurboTax customers may be experiencing an issue because TurboTax is incorrectly limiting the eligible costs of electric or natural gas heat pumps, electric or natural gas heat pump water heaters, and biomass stoves and boilers for the Home Energy Credit when the home is occupied by a non-spouse occupant.

We’re currently working to resolve this issue. If you’d like to receive progress updates, sign up below.

Sign in to get follow up notifications

@sissy13bug 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Form 5695 Errors

Are you using the TurboTax desktop editions installed on a personal computer?  If so, which operating system, Windows or Mac.

I am using the TurboTax Premier desktop edition for Windows.  Have all the latest releases for the TurboTax software.  Went through the Home Energy Credit section.  Indicated that we made the improvements to our main home and it was Not related to new construction.  We are the original user of the improvements and we expect them to be in use for 5 years.

Then entered the cost of an Electric Heat Pump on the screen Enter your qualified energy property costs.  Completed the section and received a $2,000 credit.

At no point did the software ask about splitting ownership of the home nor if we had separate homes.

In Federal Review it did ask for us to enter an address for the home where the improvements were made.  After entering the address, ran Federal Review again with no error.

You may want to delete the Form 5695 and start from the begining of the Home Energy Credit section in Deductions & Credits.

Form 5695 Errors

I am using the desktop version of Deluxe on a Mac. 

I have seen the error that you described about the entering the home address. I have also seen other errors, such as incorrect or unfilled check boxes, and now the error about the dual primary residences. As I wrote, I've been dealing with one issue or another on Form 5695 for a couple of weeks.

Form 5695 Errors

Thank you for the information. I will put aside for now and wait for a notification and updates. 

Form 5695 Errors

@sissy13bug Thanks for the feedback.  It is unfortunate that many of the problems you describe are only affecting those who are using a Mac.  Hopefully, the programmers get all of this fixed in the next week or two.

TurboTax normally updates their software on Thursdays so check back on 03/07.

Form 5695 Errors

Contacted by TT support today. Downloaded today's update, which fixed the issues. Thank you! 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies