Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 5498: Turbo Tax asks for value of all Trad IRA accounts?

TurboTax is asking me for the value of all my Traditional IRA accounts as of 12/31/2021 for 2021 taxes, but form 5498 for 2021 is not sent out until 5/22/2022. 

TurboTax specifically mentions that this info is found on Form 5498. 

how do I get this info, or cancel it on Turbo Tax? If I hit the “Continue” button it just returns to the same entry page for this info. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

You can find the value of your IRA accounts by reviewing your year end statements.  If you don't have the statements, you can log in to your online account and find it.  You could also call your IRA administrator and ask them.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
randyharrison54
Returning Member

You are able to contribute to your IRA until the filing deadline (April 18th this year).  The IRA managers are given until May 24th to get Form 5498 out to you.  To accommodate this the IRS allows you to file an extension, you, however, are responsible for any tax due by April 18th.  To accomplish this, estimate the values of your IRA and fill in TurboTax and let it calculate the amount you owe (or refund) and mail a check to the IRS for the amount you think you owe.  This will minimize you owing a lot of interest and or penalties. If you are getting a refund and need the money NOW, file your taxes, again, including the guess on the values you expect the Form 5498 and when the Form comes out in May then file an amended 1040 at that time and at least you will have gotten the Lionshare of your refund  

BillM223
Expert Alumni

"TurboTax is asking me for the value of all my Traditional IRA accounts as of 12/31/2021 for 2021 taxes," - I imagine that the reason that TurboTax is asking this is because you have an excess IRA contribution that is being carried over to next year, so you are being penalized 6% times the smaller of your excess contributions carried over or the value of all your traditional IRAs on the last day of the year. See line 17 on form 5329.

Even without the 5498, as David says, you ought to be able to get an accurate number with a little research in your statement(s) or with a phone call to your IRA administrator(s).

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

OK thanks. I would have just pulled it form my statements had turboTax not specifically mentioned Form 5498. I don't know why they would add that confusing detail. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies