turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

crsuare1

Form 116 line 1a. Is gross income from sources within country both US income plus income in the possession not taxable in the USA?

I need to file form 1116 but I need to know if line 1a should include only the income generated outside the USA and not taxable in USA?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Form 116 line 1a. Is gross income from sources within country both US income plus income in the possession not taxable in the USA?

Line 1a does exclude foreign income that is not taxed in the USA.  An example would be foreign earned income excluded on Form 2555 would not be included.

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Line 1a does exclude foreign income that is not taxed in the USA.  An example would be foreign earned income excluded on Form 2555 would not be included.

crsuare1

Thanks. So what should be included in 1a since it reads “gross income from sources within country”? This excluded income is the only income generated outside the US ( in my case interest paid to me in Puerto Rico)

For complete information on income from sources outside the USA,  read the IRS "2018 instructions for form 1116".  Then go to the foreign tax interview and go thru step by step.
crsuare1

Thanks for your time and courtesy. How do I get to the step by step foreign tax credit interview.

The menu tree is FEDERAL TAXES, Deductions & Credits, Estimates and Other Taxes Paid, Foreign Taxes. Click on the button.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies