Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Form 1095a and dependent income

When I go to page 2 of 1095a entry I get the question about different situations.  The second line says "I have at least one dependent on my taxes who's filing a separate return." Well, that is true.  She earned $7252 for 2023.  However, I noticed that my refund immediately goes from $15745 to $14935 or -$810.  I assume this is because the ACA subsidy is reduced.  But, according to my understanding, IF my dependent's income is below the single standard deduction, she is not even required to file and her MAGI DOES NOT count into total household income, therefore it SHOULD NOT impact the subsidy amount in any manner.  Why does it reduce my refund?  She is only getting $484 back so based on this situation, it makes more sense to avoid filing a separate return for her and simply paying her $484 of the extra $810 I'll get back by not filing a separate return for her.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
RobertB4444
Expert Alumni

If she is filing a separate return but is still your dependent on this return then click 'No' to that question.  If she is filing a separate return but is claiming herself then the ACA subsidy belongs on her return and not on yours even if you are paying the insurance costs.

@Anonymous 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Anonymous
Not applicable

You explanation way more thorough than what is offered in the desktop program.  May I suggest that TT include your version under the help section of form 1095-A.  Thank you for taking the time to reply. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies