Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Form 1095-A Column B Question

In 2021, I paid full premium for 7 months (January - July) and received APTC for 5 months (August - December}. My 1095-A shows SLCSP data for the 5 months for which APTC were received, and zero for the 7 months for which the premiums were paid in full. I looked up the Tax Tool and got a SLCSP number that is different from the one that is partially listed on my 1095-A. I wonder which of the SLCSP numbers do I use to complete Form 8962. Please help.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

The SLCSP  numbers from the healthcare.gov tax tool are correct because SLCSP is an average cost of plans in your area, whether you are paying directly or receiving an advance premium credit.  

However, the IRS runs a check with healthcare.gov to verify the 1095-A entries match and if they do not, they mail a notice to the taxpayer asking for information. It is possible that a mismatch between your return and the 1095-A you have now might cause that to happen. If it does, simply follow the directions in the notice and send them a copy of the numbers from the healthcare.gov tax tool. That should resolve any questions.

You may wish to contact healthcare.gov and ask if they can revise the 1095-A to match the tool. This would lessen the chance that the IRS will route your return into ACA verification and slow down processing. They may be reached at:
1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325)

Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except holidays)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TeresaM
Expert Alumni

The SLCSP  numbers from the healthcare.gov tax tool are correct because SLCSP is an average cost of plans in your area, whether you are paying directly or receiving an advance premium credit.  

However, the IRS runs a check with healthcare.gov to verify the 1095-A entries match and if they do not, they mail a notice to the taxpayer asking for information. It is possible that a mismatch between your return and the 1095-A you have now might cause that to happen. If it does, simply follow the directions in the notice and send them a copy of the numbers from the healthcare.gov tax tool. That should resolve any questions.

You may wish to contact healthcare.gov and ask if they can revise the 1095-A to match the tool. This would lessen the chance that the IRS will route your return into ACA verification and slow down processing. They may be reached at:
1-800-318-2596 (TTY: 1-855-889-4325)

Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except holidays)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

The above author is correct that the numbers you receive from the healthcare.gov tax forms website are correct.  The claim that the IRS or healthcare.gov will send you correct 1095-A from is blatantly false.  Sometimes they send a correct 1095-A.   They will if you claimed subsidies upfront.  If you did not claim subsidies for the full year, but are eligible for the subsidies your 1095-A column B will be full of zeros.    When this happens you must go to the healthcare.gov tax tools forms website - enter your information and it will generate the correct numbers that should have been in column B of 1095-A.  Then you must enter this information into IRS form 8962 and then and only then will you be able to fill out your taxes correctly.    Lesson learned the hardway - always claim a subsidy - even if only a small subsidy so that I can receive a correct 1095-A and not have to bother with form 8962.    [If your 1095-A did not have zeroes in column B just use it as is.  But if has all zeroes in column B do not rely on the government or any other agency to send you a "corrected" 1094-A - it] will not happen - go use the healthcare.gov tax forms section and prepare to fill out more IRS forms. [specifically 8962).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies